Sunday, March 16, 2014

The adventure of being a tourist








            How to be a tourist, when you’re not a tourist? Well, that’s a really good question and my task to do last week when I had to pretend I was a tourist. Where I decided to go? As a tourist besides of the rainforest one amazing place to be is the Old San Juan, that perfect place with a lot of history, restaurants and a lot of walking during the day. So I decided to go there and pretend to be I was a tourist during my first visit to “La isla del encanto”. I woke up and I called some friends and then I thought: How should I dressed if I’m playing a tourist”? The stereotypical thing is to put on a short, a shirt with a tropical print and a hat, but I decided to go as my own way as a tourist, I wore a short, a tank top, my favorite snap bag and a pair of vans. 

    After that we left home, and started our trip to Old San Juan.   We got there and found out there was a huge cruise ship, so I had the idea that I wanted to be not just only a tourist but a tourist that came from that perfect cruise ship. We parked at the Doña Fela parking and the journey began. We started walking and I decided to go “Bahia Urbana” because that’s where the cruise ship was and I wanted to start it of the right way. We walked around there and took a lot of pictures in that kind of new place in San Juan. Then I decided to go to“El morro” that monumental fort that everyone talk about and shows in every Puerto Rican postcard and even in some vehicle’s registration panel. I had to admit that I’ve been there like a hundred times, but every time I got the view is just breathtaking a kind of view that makes you feel like it’s your first time there. I bought a “piragua” and just sat in one of the walls to just admire and see the island from a different perspective. Since we’re on a drought period the weather was perfect (a little too hot) but just perfect, with the sun, blue skies and the wind directly from the sea refreshing your body. Basically all we did was talk and have fun while watching the amazing view. We spent a few hours there, and then we decided to take a walk and go through all the streets from “Viejo San Juan”.  

At the end of the day I was really tired of walking and I decided to return to the “Bahia Urbana” when all the people goes to sit and watch the cruisers come and go. As local I’ve always visited this old city to escape from my life routine, but even though, I always get impressed by all the good things, people and views that this city gives us as a part of our history and culture.





5 comments:

  1. We pick the same place to be a tourist for a day, but did different things, that shows the diversity in Old San Juan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice pictures! I love how you asked "how to be a tourist, when not a tourist?". Great way to capture a reader's attention.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also went there as part of my tourist for a day experience. Like you, I also appreciated all the good views and the overall ambiance. Even though we live here and live so close to it, it's always a nice trip to make because, at least in my case, I never get tired of visiting and it's always a different experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that fact that you dressed as a "tourist". and noticed all the little details that regularly are obvious to us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. San Juan is always a very good place to explore and Know a little more about Puerto Rican culture. Very Good!

    ReplyDelete