Sunday, March 30, 2014

Mini Sagas and Immigration Panel






Last week I had to attend to another conference from the Student Conference titled: “Student Interventions in General Studies: Interdisciplinary projects and creative initiatives” presented by the faculty of General Studies. This one was about the Mini Sagas: My creativity process. What is a Mini Saga? Well, they explained to the audience that Brian Aldiss originally created Mini-sagas. These sagas consist in a short piece of writing that contents only 50 words. What I found interesting and hard to do was to write something good, special and emotional in just 50 words. One of the students wrote about eating disorders and she read it to the audience like it was a poem. I loved it because it was straight to the point but at the same time with a pure message. Other was about racist and what women expect to find in a husband. This panel was definitely fun and I enjoyed it from beginning to end.


Another panel that was presented was about the Immigration of Dominicans in Puerto Rico.    This one called my attention immediately because the girls that were presented are Dominicans. They started to explain their perspective of the topic and their personal experience. What called my attention was that for Dominicans it’s really difficult to adapt in this island, and it’s not because of the island conditions, but Puerto Ricans as civilization make this process harder than I thought. The racism in Puerto Rico is a fact and while I was listening to these brilliant girls, I thought that every Puerto Rican should have been listening to their panel. Without question this panel was very emotional and educational as well. As a Puerto Rican we face this issues in other countries and it’s unreasonable that these things still happening at this time. We all are humans and where we belong can’t be a reason to discrimination.







5 comments:

  1. Great blog, I enjoy reading it. I was present at that panel and it was very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This panel caught my attention quite a lot! I can see that yours too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed this panel.
    The fact that they could express a whole idea in just 50 words is amazing. I tried to do a 'mini saga' and did not went well. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was an enjoyable panel. I really loved it. It is a very complicated activity, and they made it look so easy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wasn't able to attend the mini sagas panel but I did go to the one about immigration and I agree with the points you made.

    ReplyDelete